Friday 18 May 2012

The BIG city

My name is Elinor Stringer. I have just finished my 4 year degree at Camosun College in Victoria B.C. As a requirement to actually graduate, we had to complete an "Internship". Which is how I ended up here, at Victory Volleyball. My College was a great place to go. The classes were small enough that the teacher ACTUALLY knew my name and wanted to see me succeed. Best four years I could have asked for with possibly the weirdest group of people.
Now, as I said I am from Victoria BC. I live on an Island surrounded by farms and sheep. The largest our highways get is about eight (8) lanes across; the tallest our buildings get is about 18 stories high (actually 17, because there are never a 13th floor). Victoria is such a beautiful place with the ocean only a stones throw away no matter where you are, gorgeous hiking trails and possibly the nicest homeless people around.
Now I never really thought of myself as a 'small town' girl until I went downtown Toronto...not really what I call a fun place to be. Terrifyingly tall buildings (seriously 68 floors, is that really necessary?), un-necessarily eerie subway stations, and bumper-to-bumper traffic through 20 lanes of highway. OK, I've been to Toronto many time before for family gatherings, but that was never more than for 2 weeks, so I was able to return to happy place called Victoria. Now before anyone comes 'lynching' to my house, Toronto has some nice qualities, such as seeing T.V shows 3 hours before my friends do back home, toughening up my skin for when I return, and even the people I've met are pretty darn nice. Back in Victoria, I always hear scary stories about "don't trust anyone" or even "you'll be killed on the subway alone". I would like to point out that I took the subway by-myself (granted I had a subway map and written directions for exactly what I have to do) BUT I did not die, nor was my life threatened! I would like to call that success, and de-bunk those rumors.
So hopefully over my 4 months here, I will find my way around and learn how to drive the streets of Toronto without killing anyone! Here I come BIG city...watch out!

~Elinor~

No comments:

Post a Comment