Friday 4 May 2012

MexiCAN Lasagna!

I finally made this dish I’ve been meaning to make forever, and thought I’d share it with you guys. It’s really easy to make, the prep takes a bit of time but the outcome is well worth it.
It’s a Mexican take on lasagna. Tortillas instead of noodles, plus rice and beans and some other stuff = deliciousness! My two favourites types of food; Mexican and Italian, together at last! How can you go wrong?!
I got the recipe from someone I follow on twitter, who has a food blog, but the recipe originally came from here.
I will say I had some difficulty finding all the ingredients- so when you are shopping,  go to a big grocery store with a Mexican section to find things like Enchilada sauce and Verde Salsa (I got my ingredients at Loblaws & No Frills).
I also learned a few things:


  • “Verde” means “green” aka GREEN SALSA! It’s (delicious and) a little spicier than regular salsa.
  • YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN TACO SEASONING! All you need is chili powder, paprika, and cumin.
  • This recipes makes a HUGE amount (full casserole dish) so you can half it, or freeze some after it's done if you have a lot leftover. (Orrr you can eat it every day for the next week, like I did.)

Below are some photos of the process :)


The rice cooking and the veggies and "taco seasoning" sautéing.


        The veggies & seasoning all mixed together.
 The rice, beans & veggie mixture all combined.

Starting the layering lasagna process w/ tortillas and enchilada sauce.
Almost finished...

  Ready to go in the oven w/ the cheese and cayenne pepper on top!

Cookin'.



All done!

Again, you can find the recipe on Pioneer Woman. Good luck! Let me know how it turns out and if you guys have any recipes you want to share, feel free to post them in the comments!
Enjoy!


-Meghan

No comments:

Post a Comment