Saturday 2 June 2012

Top 5 Favourite Beaches

When the weather gets great, it's the perfect time going to the beach! I've been to a number of beaches and I do have my favourites. Although the weather has its ups and downs, we have already had a number of really hot days! I thought it'd be nice to share a list of my top 5 favourite beaches with you. :) If you disagree or agree, or have other beaches in mind you would also like to share, feel free to comment! Note: Distance travel is from Mississauga, ON!

 #5) WASAGA BEACH
Approx Drive Time: 1 hr & 45 mins 
Parking Costs: Varies on the area (i.e. by the hour, $10 for a day, $20) 
Cleanliness: 2.5/5
Pros: popular beach, has a walking strip for food & items shop, restaurants, very large, different available areas (1-6), shortest distance for me 
Cons: dirty waters, known to be very shallow (ideal for children) for a good distance
Overall, I've been to this beach countless times. I always knew Wasaga to be the hit spot for teens or young adults (area 1), and families (i.e. other grassy areas). I usually try to avoid this beach because I rarely swim in the Wasaga waters, since it is pretty dirty and you have to venture far off if you want it to be atleast waist/chest deep. On hot days, it can be very packed and finding a parking spot can be a bummer, since it's popular and well-known!


#4) GRAND BEND BEACH
 Approx Drive Time: 3 hrs 
Parking Costs: By the hour, $10-$15 for day 
Cleanliness: 3/5 
Pros: popular beach, has a walking strip for food & items shop, large, lifeguards on duty, park area for children 
Cons: rocks in water, gets deep easily (not ideal for children)
Overall, I've been to this beach 3-4 times. This beach is pretty awesome! But I'm personally not a huge fan of traveling long distances and rocks in the water (hurts my feet), which is why it's lower on the list for me. 

#3) CRYSTAL BEACH
Approx Drive Time: 2 hrs 
Parking Costs: $15 for day 
Cleanliness: 4.5/5 
Pros: very clear water (hence the beach's name!), lifeguard on duty, shorter travel distance, good water level, beautiful sand 
Cons: smaller and private, guard at the front gates that checks to make sure you don't bring in any glass items, finding parking can be a bummer, no stores/food shops in walking distance
Overall, I fell in love with this beach's water because of how clean it was (which brings it way up on the list). We had a little trouble finding it first because it was sort of hidden, and the first time we took a lot longer to find it! 

 #2) LONG POINT BEACH
 Approx Drive Time: 2.5 hrs 
Parking Costs: $15-$20 for day 
Cleanliness: 3.5/5 
Pros: fairly clean water, good water level, beautiful sand, grassy areas 
Cons: their sand dunes/hills can be annoying (especially when you have to climb over them), no food shops from what I can remember
Overall, Long Point Beach places pretty high on my list because I always enjoy my visits every time I come. I love their waters and everytime I come here with my family, we usually get a shady grassy area at the back and put up a small tent. 

 #1) SAUBLE BEACH
 Approx Drive Time: 2.5 - 3 hrs 
Parking Costs: $15 for day 
Cleanliness: 4/5
 Pros: popular beach, very close to parking, good water level, nice water, food & items shops/restaurants
Cons: far distance, sand tends to be compacted, more of a narrow beach strip than wide
Overall, this is the my favourite beach to go to! :D Although it is far, I find it definitely worth the travel because everything I look for in a beach, Sauble has it. The fact that they have necessities, as well as lovely water is a plus!

~ Vanida

1 comment: